(See what our readers are saying about the NetFamilyNewsletter.)
Welcome to NetFamilyNews!
As a public service for parents, educators, and everyone interested in young people's use of technology, NetFamilyNews is the "community newspaper" of a vital interest community. Founded in 1999, it has become the journal-of-record on all aspects of youth and technology, serving readers in more than 50 countries.
NetFamilyNews is based on the premise that informed, engaged parenting is essential to kids' constructive use of technology. With the advent of Web 2.0, or the social Web, that has never been more true. We all have arrived at the everywhere, all-the-time, multimedia, multidevice, downloadable and uploadable, user-driven Internet. On this Internet, the best protections our highly mobile Net users have is the filtering software in their heads and their informed, engaged parents. That's why I started NetFamilyNews, with several editions for busy readers: an email newsletter and daily blog and newsfeed.
- Online safety and privacy news and tools
- New technologies and Web resources for kids
- Research about kids' use of digital media and the Net
- Legislation affecting children's online experience
- School and library Net-use policy
- How Web-literate kids, parents, and teachers are using the Internet.
NetFamilyNews is unique in three ways:
- Our daily and weekly frequencies and multi-format approach provide maximum online accessibility to parents
- We're parent-driven and grass-roots, filtering tech news for fellow parents and, with permission, publishing the tech stories and issues they send in. Having covered this field for more than a decade, we're a clearinghouse for tech-parenting expertise in all directions - that of our readers themselves, as well as researchers, policymakers, children's advocates, and businesspeople providing products and services for kids and families.
- We're a "community newspaper" of the Digital Age - the information source for and communications node of a vibrant, worldwide interest community: grownups with young tech users' best interests in mind.
Anne Collier is editor of NetFamilyNews and executive director of its parent, Tech Parenting Group, a nonprofit organization she founded in 1999. Anne's bio is here.
NetFamilyNews's sister site is ConnectSafely.org, which Anne co-directs with Larry Magid, publisher of SafeKids.com. A bit of ancient history: In 1998-'99 NFN was a sponsor of America Links Up, a nationwide Internet education campaign launched during the first National Kids Online Week in September of that year.
E-mail us anytime with thoughts on what you'd like to see in the newsletter, your own family's online experiences, or comments about what's going on with the Internet at large or in your own community. We always love hearing from fellow parents.
We're a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization registered in Connecticut and Utah. Your contributions are tax-deductible and most welcome! Contributions can easily be made electronically from our Support page, or makes checks payable to:
1055 Coleman Rd.
San Jose, CA 95123
Thank you for supporting NetFamilyNews. We are always happy to hear from potential underwriters and distribution partners as well. Email or call our editorial offices at 650.458.7948.
HOME | newsletter | subscribe | links | supporters | about | feedback
PCTattleTale Parental Control and Monitoring Software, and Time4Learning.com.